Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday

Because I am not original, much. Anyway, as part of my training plan I went for a brisk walk in the park:

DC Bike Path: Brisk walk: (1.95) miles. Pace-avg: (17:20) min./mi. Speed-avg.: (3.5) mph. Burned: (224) Calories.

I saw quite a few cyclists out in the park today, most of them in riding groups of 3-5. I prefer cycling to walking/running because I move faster. But seriously, my knees just really need to get into shape. I'm wondering if my pre- and post-exercise, um exercise, a standing one-legged calf-raise, (10 reps, 2x on each side), is what's really giving me the grief. This exercise was recommended by Dan M. at Fleet Feet Stockton as a way to build up the stabilizing muscles in my knees. I had asked him what I could do to help build up my knees since I was experiencing lots of aches and pains in said knees after my brief attempts on the treadmill at the gym; this was his solution.

Now as we all know, over-exercise of muscles can leave them in a state of continuous breakdown, instead of breaking down and building up, as when weightlifting for muscle growth and development. I think I previously mentioned making an appointment with a personal trainer at the gym. Guess I better get on that.

Reading: "The Devil We Know: Dealing with the New Iranian Superpower" (c.2008) by Robert Baer. Interesting read, so far. I already read two other books by him: "See No Evil: The True Story of a Ground Soldier in the CIA's War on Terrorism" (c.2002, 2003), and "Sleeping With the Devil: How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude" (c.2003). And looking at Amazon, I see he has a new book out: "The Company We Keep: A Husband-and-Wife True Life spy Story" (c.2011, hardcover). I look forward to reading that one, soon.


-Lancer!!

No comments: