Typical U.S. Male Runner
- Average Age: 44.8 - Close: (41) y.o.
- 73.5% Married - Not quite. Divorced many years.
- 78.8% College educated - Yes. A.A. [had to get something for the time I spent at the community college] and a B.A. that I don't use professionally.
- 76.4% Earn a household income of $75,000+ - Not so much at this time, and even then I only had one year, many years back, where I made even close to this amount as a single person.
- Average number of years running: 16 years - Not even. Just started this year.
- Average number of running events participated in during the last 12 months: 9 events - Only two (2) events so far.
- 67.9% have completed 1 marathon or more in their lifetime - Not yet, but am working up to it for next year.
- 79.2% Run/Jog 4+ hours each week - Yes. My training plan has me running [OK, jog/walking] at least this much.
- 82.5% run 12 months a year - Only (6) mos. so far.
- Average number of days run per week: 4.5 - Yes. My plan has me "running" four (4) days a week.
- Average number of miles run per week: 29.5 - Close. I did (28.42) miles three weeks back, and am building up to more.
- 55.8% describe themselves as ‘Frequent/Fitness Runners’ and 32.7% as ‘Serious Competitive Runners’ - Frequent/Fitness runner, yes. Competitive, not really.
- Favorite race distance is the Half-Marathon (31.7%) - Working up to that in December.
- Interested in entering next year:
- Half-Marathon (69.7%) - Not yet.
- 5K (58.5%) - Not yet.
- 10K (58.0%) - (1) down this year.
- Marathon (56.9%) - Next year.
- Primary motivation to start running: For Exercise (22.0%), Competed in School and Never Stopped (15.2%) - For exercise, that's me.
- Motivation to continue to run:
- Staying in Shape (75.2%) - Yes.
- Staying Healthy (70.8%) - Yes.
- Having Fun (58.9%) - Yes.
- Average number of running shoes purchased in last 12 months: 3.4 pairs - Only (1) pair so far this year, but expect I will need a new pair before the end of September.
- Last running shoes purchased:
- ASICS (29.1%) - Not in years.
- Nike (15.9%) - Never.
- Brooks (14.1%) - BROOKS is my brand!
- 56.4% spent $90+ on their running shoes - Yes.
- 42.9% purchased their running shoes at a specialty running store. - Yes, Fleet Feet.
- Favorite brands of running apparel:
- Nike (56.1%) - At least three (3) pieces.
- ASICS (33.8%) - None.
- Under Armour (32.0%) - Only (2) pieces.
- 76.2% spent $100+ on running apparel in the last 12 months - Yes, I confess.
- 66.6% purchased running apparel at a specialty running store - Not yet, just the shoes and socks.
- Average Weight: 171.2 - Still hovering around (200) lbs.
- Average Body Mass Index (BMI): 24.2 - Not sure, haven't checked.
- 47.7% are content with their weight - Not yet. Needs to drop more.
- 45.9% are content with their fitness level. - Not yet. Much more room to improve.
Today I made sure to use as a rest day only, exercise-wise, because of my tight right quads the last two (2) days. Here's hoping it pays off for tomorrow's Long Run.