Saturday, August 20, 2011

Am I Average?

This entry is inspired by P.-, and she was inspired by Darlene (I don't know her), who was inspired by this article here at RunningUSA. I will add my responses below:

Typical U.S. Male Runner
Demographics:
  • Average Age: 44.8 - Close: (41) y.o.
  • 73.5% Married - Not quite. Divorced many years.
  • 78.8% College educated - Yes. A.A. [had to get something for the time I spent at the community college] and a B.A. that I don't use professionally.
  • 76.4% Earn a household income of $75,000+ - Not so much at this time, and even then I only had one year, many years back, where I made even close to this amount as a single person.

Running History:
  • Average number of years running: 16 years - Not even. Just started this year.
  • Average number of running events participated in during the last 12 months: 9 events - Only two (2) events so far.
  • 67.9% have completed 1 marathon or more in their lifetime - Not yet, but am working up to it for next year.

Running Routine:
  • 79.2% Run/Jog 4+ hours each week - Yes. My training plan has me running [OK, jog/walking] at least this much.
  • 82.5% run 12 months a year - Only (6) mos. so far.
  • Average number of days run per week: 4.5 - Yes. My plan has me "running" four (4) days a week.
  • Average number of miles run per week: 29.5 - Close. I did (28.42) miles three weeks back, and am building up to more.
  • 55.8% describe themselves as ‘Frequent/Fitness Runners’ and 32.7% as ‘Serious Competitive Runners’ - Frequent/Fitness runner, yes. Competitive, not really.
Running Preferences:
  • Favorite race distance is the Half-Marathon (31.7%) - Working up to that in December.
  • Interested in entering next year: 
    • Half-Marathon (69.7%) - Not yet.
    • 5K (58.5%) - Not yet.
    • 10K (58.0%) - (1) down this year.
    • Marathon (56.9%) - Next year.
Motivation:
  • Primary motivation to start running: For Exercise (22.0%), Competed in School and Never Stopped (15.2%) - For exercise, that's me.
  • Motivation to continue to run: 
    • Staying in Shape (75.2%) - Yes.
    • Staying Healthy (70.8%) - Yes.
    • Having Fun (58.9%) - Yes.
Product Preferences:
  • Average number of running shoes purchased in last 12 months: 3.4 pairs - Only (1) pair so far this year, but expect I will need a new pair before the end of September.
  • Last running shoes purchased: 
    • ASICS (29.1%) - Not in years.
    • Nike (15.9%) - Never.
    • Brooks (14.1%) - BROOKS is my brand!
  • 56.4% spent $90+ on their running shoes - Yes.
  • 42.9% purchased their running shoes at a specialty running store. - Yes, Fleet Feet.
  • Favorite brands of running apparel: 
    • Nike (56.1%) - At least three (3) pieces.
    • ASICS (33.8%) - None.
    • Under Armour (32.0%) - Only (2) pieces.
  • 76.2% spent $100+ on running apparel in the last 12 months - Yes, I confess.
  • 66.6% purchased running apparel at a specialty running store - Not yet, just the shoes and socks.
Health:
  • Average Weight: 171.2 - Still hovering around (200) lbs.
  • Average Body Mass Index (BMI): 24.2 - Not sure, haven't checked.
  • 47.7% are content with their weight - Not yet. Needs to drop more.
  • 45.9% are content with their fitness level. - Not yet. Much more room to improve.
Guess this makes me somewhat average all around.

Today I made sure to use as a rest day only, exercise-wise, because of my tight right quads the last two (2) days. Here's hoping it pays off for tomorrow's Long Run.

-Lancer!!

    No comments: