Friday, August 19, 2011

Tempo Run 4

Today's training run, another Tempo Run, was done after sundown. That means a longer test of my new KnuckleLights(tm). B-)

Surface Streets: 1/2 Marathon Training, Tempo Run. Dist: (6.57)mi. Pace-avg: (16:18). Speed-avg: (3.7)mph. Speed-max: (5.0)mph. Burned: (710) Calories.

Plan: Run (4) mi. @ a (15:56) pace, for a total time of (1:03:44) hrs.
Actual: Jog/Walk (4) mi. @ (15:29) pace, for a total time of (1:01:56.81) hrs. Bracketed by (1) mi. warm-up and (1) mi. cool-down walks.
Fuel: Pre-run: Dinner (Combo Pizza and a salad). Mid-run: none (dinner). Post-run: Vanilla ice cream with hot fudge Just a glass of orange Gatorade.
Is this too much stuff to take out on a night run?

Tonight's run was alright, mainly just jogging back and forth up the road that is a known distance. The KnuckleLights(tm) worked well, for the most part. There are some uneven places along the edge of the road that the diffuse LED lights did not really illuminate enough to see just how uneven. To be fair, I don't think my SureFire did as well the last time I jogged that same stretch a couple weeks ago. One of the units seemed to turn itself off spontaneously at least four (4) times tonight. I will have to check that one and make sure no sweat is leaking into it.

I noticed my right quads were still tense and a little achy during tonight's training run. I wanted to push and keep jogging continuously for at least three (3) miles, maybe even four (4), but I did not want to risk an injury by trying too hard. I will have to work on stretching that out some more. I think I first noticed this during the VIPS 10K last Saturday. I was trying to push up the hills and maintain my jogging pace as much as possible. Then I aggravated it a bit on Tuesday crawling around in the back yard testing the phone line.

Speaking of the VIPS 10K, I emailed Shadow Chase, since they were the group tracking the finishing times for the event, and am still waiting for them to correct my final time. They have it logged as (1:43:50.2) hrs. But a friend snapped a photo of me crossing the line at (1:33:14) hrs. The timing clock is in the frame with me, and is the last photo at the bottom of the page here. I appreciate that they had some computer issues on race day, and they are understaffed, but I expect they will get around to correcting it soon-ish.

Other News: I started my CompTIA A+ certification prep class, the first of three, and it seems pretty straight forward so far, so I will keep at it. I really want to get back into the IT field, and getting IT certificates is pretty much the only way to do that.

-Lancer!!

No comments: