Friday, April 08, 2011

Snot Nose

Finally got around to my workout today, which might have been a touch overkill. We'll see how my knees feel in the morning:

DC Bike Path: Cycling (47) min. w/ cycling shoes (8.85) miles; Walking: (41) min. Walk/jog/walk (2.13) miles. Burned: (582) Calories [GarminTC].

DC Bike Path: Walking/Jog Training: Lap #1: Walk (10) min./ Jog (1) min. / Walk (5) min.; Lap #2: Walk (10) min./ Jog (1) min. / Walk (5) min., Lap #3: Cool-down walk home. Burned: (249) Calories [Garmin TC].

Again, it was cold outside (55 deg.F.), but little to no wind...when I left. Once I got into the park on my bike, and especially after El Vista, the wind seemed to pick up a good bit, so I had a headwind all the way to the end of the park. And since it was a cold wind, I had "snot nose" all through my ride. Joy. Once back home I filled a bucket with used snot paper, then changed into my running shorts and running shoes. My SJSU hoodie was too porous, i.e. cold, for the bike ride, but it was just right for the foot portion of the park (less wind-chill) workout. I was just able to manage one (1) full minute on each of the "jog" sections of my laps. Almost a brisk stagger. I have been using a method (unnamed) of "jogging" these portions where I move forward in a continuous, rolling motion, while trying to minimize the springing vertical motion of my stride. I think it's working for me.

At this point, I'm wondering if maybe I should just stick solely to walking, instead of the walk/jog/walk, and do leg muscle training at the gym. I'll get back to you on that. Time to eat, stretch, shower, and ice my knees, in no particular order...

-Lancer!!

No comments: