Sunday, June 26, 2011

Half-Marathon Man: The Prelude

Early this week I signed up for SmartCoach on Runner's World, the free version, so I can get started on training for a half-marathon in December. Yes, the Vegas night run. I still have not officially signed up yet, but want to get training anyway. I think I will run with Team Challenge, but their organization meeting in my area (SF East Bay is the closest) isn't till August.

Today's plan was an eight (8) mile long run at a pace of (18:02)min./mi. For me, that's walking at a semi-brisk pace:

DC Bike Path: Walk/Jog, (8x). Dist: (8.41)mi. Pace-avg: (16:32)min./mi. Speed-avg: (3.6)mph. Speed-max: (6.2)mph. Burned: (950) Calories. Half-Marathon training: Long Run.

Very hot, but at least I lathered up with sunscreen before-hand. It was about (82)F when I left the house, with about (35)% humidity. Weather data says only (27)% humidity now and (89)F outside. Running in the DC park is usually a bit cooler than elsewhere because of the synergistic cooling effects from the river and the trees along that river. And when I'm passing the golf course, it even cooler. Unless, of course, I am silly enough to run in the middle of the day like I just did. It actually was a bit cooler, and definitely more humid near the river. I had to refill my water bottle at the water fountain on my return leg, where I usually turn around during my other, shorter runs. Cool breeze was the mantra I tried to use to get myself to jog as much as possible after my first three (3) Jog iterations. It helped a wee bit. I only hit "Slow Jog" on the first two (2) Jog iterations, the rest were all in the "Fast Walk" and slower range.

I fully intended to go out earlier this morning around 0700 hrs., or so, but I was waiting too long for my colon, and just put it off too long. C'est la vie. I will of course have to make a better effort at this. Late last year, when I would go out riding in the morning I didn't usually what for the morning sit-down. I would just get up, chug some Gatorade, then hit the trail. Then again, riding my bike is faster than walking, so I try to avoid the possibility of any accidents on the running trail, no matter how frustrating the wait. Too much info? Maybe.

Less than one (1) hour to check in to see if I have Jury Duty in the morning. No jinx! *knock-on-wood*

Today's Weight: (200.8) lbs., post run. Getting closer to my goal. :-)

-Lancer!!

UPDATE: Called in and was told by the machine that I do not have to report for Jury Duty. Well, if you insist.

1 comment:

soham joshi said...

Great article with excellent idea! I appreciate your post. Thanks so much and let keep on sharing your stuffs shares my favorite sites.