Thursday, June 30, 2011

Speed Work

Today was a Speed Work day, per my half-marathon training plan. This is the first time I have done anything like this. I need to improve on today's results.

DC Bike Path: Running, Speed Work: Warm-up (1) mi.; Jog (0.99)mi., Recovery walk: (0.49)mi.; repeat; walk home. Distance: (5.42)mi. Pace-avg: (15:47)min./mi. Speed-avg: (3.8)mph. Speed-max: (6.1)mph. Burned: (618) Calories. Kinda' sloppy. Need to lower the speeds on the Jog intervals, possibly the Recovery intervals, too.

So the plan called for this (from: http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com, personalized for me with 4x running days per work):

Today's Workout

Run a total distance of 4 Mi. Your run should include:
- a warm up of about 1 mile at an easy pace
- 2 repeats of 1600 meters each; your time for each repeat should be 15:18
- a 800-meter recovery jog after each repeat
- a cool down of about 1 mile at an easy pace

My splits for this were: [Jog-1] 13:51 min./mi.; [Recovery-1] 14:22 min./mi.; [Jog-2] 15:10 min./mi.;  [Recovery-2] 14:52 min./mi. This seems to be pretty good for my first effort at Speed Work. I need to adjust the Speed ranges in my Garmin for this workout.

Skipping m y two (2) mile run on Tuesday, and ditching out on gym time for my Rest/XT days was clearly a mistake...again. My excuse: the weather shift, including rain, had me a bit discombooberated.

Time for chow.

-Lancer!!

No comments: