Tuesday, July 03, 2012

(Not so) Easy Run in the Sun

2012-07-03
Today's plan, Okay, yesterday's training plan, called for a three (3) mile Easy Run.

DC Bike Path: 1/2 Marathon Training, Easy Run. Dist: (5.52)mi. Pace-avg: (18:21). Speed-avg: (3.3)mph. Speed-max: (5.8)mph. HR-avg: (149)bpm. Burned: (592) Calories.

Plan: Run (3.0)mi. @ an (18:16) pace for a total time of (54:48)min.

Actual: Run/walk (3.0)mi. @ an avg. (18:21), bracketed by a (1.0)mi. warm-up jog, and a (1.53)mi. cool-down walk.
Fuel: Pre-run: 2x packets oatmeal (Maple & Brown Sugar), 1x cup coffee; Mid-run: noting (water); Post-run: 1x glass Gatorade (Orange), late lunch.
Starting temp: (80) deg.F.
Current temp: (86) deg.F.
Splits: (15:25), (18:54), (21:24)

I haven't gone running in a while, and had intended to go running early this morning, but after waking up at 0700 hrs., I felt like I needed a bit more rest: I spent Monday doing a CrossFit workout at the gym with my trainer in the morning, then went back in the evening for an energetic self-defense training session for an hour (different trainer); I was mighty pooped by the end of the day.
Bright sunny day in the park.
I hit the road at about 1330 hrs. and started with a jog to warm-up. Since I was wearing my compression gear, partly to act as a sunscreen, I was pretty warm already. I also left my running belt and water bottle at home to minimize the amount of stuff I was carrying; kind of a mistake all-around. I definitely should have skipped the compression gear and just slathered on sunscreen for better all around comfort. There were still plenty of people in the park: on foot, on bikes, and playing Frisbee golf. I never really knew Frisbee golf was so popular, but ever since I started running last year, I have seen plenty of people in the park playing it.

The further I got into the park the warmer I got. I ended up alternating walking and running quite often, and irregularly. I made sure to use the drinking fountains at every opportunity, and that saved me. On the return leg, since I was so warm and fearing sun-burn on my ears and neck, I lifted my running t-shirt up onto my head and let it drape down my neck and back, and secured it in place with my running hat.
Improvised sun-screen for my neck and ears.
At least I survived today's run in the park, and will be working more regular running sessions back into my training.

Other News: Self-defense class is still totally awesome!
-Lancer!!

No comments: