Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Hot Diggity Easy Run in the Sun

2012-07-04

Today's plan calls for a Speedwork Run, but I still need to get in that (2)mi. Easy Run that was on the books for yesterday, and that I was a little too tired to complete in the early evening after resting up from the earlier Easy Run in the sun.

DC Bike Path: 1/2 Marathon Training, Easy Run. Dist: (4.02)mi. Pace-avg: (16:47). Speed-avg: (3.4)mph. Speed-max: (4.6)mph. HR-avg: (142)bpm. Burned: (431) Calories.

Plan: Run (2.0)mi. @ an (18:16) pace for a total time of (36:32)min.
Actual: Run/walk (2.0)mi. @ a (16:47) average pace for a total time of (33:33.80)min., bracketed by a (1.0)mi. warm-up walk, and a (1.02)mi. cool-down walk.
Fuel: Pre-run: bowl of mixed fruit w/ plain yogurt; Mid-run: water; Post-run: (1x) glass Gatorade (Orange), and a late lunch of: reheated turkey spaghetti w/ black pepper and Parmesan cheese, green salad with cherry tomatoes, black pepper and red-wine vinegar dressing.
Splits: 16:27, 17:16
Starting Temperature: ~(86)deg.F.
Ending Temperature: Oh! My! God! [This is a guesstimate, but as of 1742 hrs. I'm reading (95)F outside.]
Today's mantra: Run to the shade! Run to the shade!

Today I slept in because I stayed up late vegging in front of the telly. It must have been because I was still dehydrated from the Tuesday run, but I was sure I was drinking water all day afterwards. I have noticed in the past that being poorly hydrated can prevent me from feeling sleepy. Then again, I should have just turned off the lights and the TV and gone to sleep.

Anyway, after dilly-dallying a bit (i.e. folding and putting away t-shirts and other clean clothes that I don't necessarily wear unless I'm working and, therefore, left draped over a chair for the last six months because most of my daily clothing is either tech fabric gym/running gear, or a pair of lounge-around-my-room-boxers) I braved the heat of the afternoon to finally get in that two miles I should have done Tuesday evening after it had cooled off considerably.

This time I kept my running kit to a minimum: short running shorts (not the track shorts), my white 2012 Bay to Breakers tech Tee with the ugly pink gorilla (at least it is very light-weight and breezy), running belt, and REI sun-cap (in Wombat) [it's not really a running hat, but it worked just fine].

Today's run included deliberate efforts to alternate running and walking every (0.25)mi. And since it felt so hot out today, i.e. essentially no breeze at all, I ended up having to hydrate every at every interval, too; so glad I did.

Now I gotta' work on cleaning up my desk, stretch out some more, and using my foam-roller so I can try and do another run, or maybe bike, this evening; and also so I'll be much less sore when I go to the gym tomorrow.

Other News: Damn! it's hot out.

-Lancer!!

No comments: