Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday Long Run

Sunday's plan calls for a Long Run, but I am running it today, instead.

DC Bike Path: 1/2 Marathon Training, Long Run. Dist: (10.00)mi. Pace-avg: (16:32). Speed-avg: (3.6)mph. Speed-max: (5.3)mph. Burned: (1061) Calories.

Plan: Run (8.0)mi. @ an (18:02) pace, for a total time of (2:24:22)hrs.
Actual:  , bracketed by a (1.0)mi. warm-up walk, and a (1.x)mi. cool-down walk.
Fuel: Pre-run: Tea with honey, toast with peanut butter; Mid-run: PowerBar Energy Gel (Banana-Strawberry), Clif Shot Blocks (Lemon-Lime); Post-run: Gatorade (Fruit Punch), then dinner.



Despite my slack-tastic nature I pulled myself out of the doldrums, got over the prospect of running in the cold, cold air outside, and went out for an afternoon run. It is clear I have lost some of my running gains and was unable to run continuously for even one (1) full mile, but I expect to make that up in short order. There were several other runners in the park this afternoon, and most of them were dressed less warmly than I. All the same, I was very happy that I had layered up as if I was going out running after sundown. I think I will have to go back to Fleet Feet and investigate the Goretex running gear I saw there last time.

Once again that nagging ache in my left foot, at the ball of my foot, sprang back to life during my return lap. I made sure to pull up my ankle socks, and adjust the tongue of my left shoe, but to no avail. I experimented a little bit with different strides/forms and found that really picking up my feet and stepping forward actually made a serious difference, and the pain subsided while I maintained that motion. Trying to maintain that form, however, was much more aerobically challenging than my usual style of gliding forward as much as possible; and my quads and hams felt the difference, too.

Onward and upward! B-)

Other News: I am registered for the 2012 Zazzle Bay to Breakers, so I am very excited about that.

-Lancer!!

No comments: