Saturday, April 23, 2011

Beautiful Day Out

Finally got some real exercise in this week: Today I went out for a bike ride to warm up for my walk/jog training:

DC Bike Path: Cycling: (8.87) miles, Pace: (5:16)min./mi. Burned: (584) Calories.

DC Bike Path: Walk/Jog/Walk. (3.08) miles. Pace-avg: (17:29) min./mile. Speed-avg: (3.4) mph. Burned: (358) Calories. No achy knees today. Increased the Jog portion to two (2) minutes. No problems. B-)

During the cycling phase, on my outbound lap, I nearly T/C'd a rider who was coming around the bend, a blind curve, because he and his buddy we riding side-by-side. We both saw each other and hit our brakes, skidding to a halt,  so we did not collide. That would have been messy (i.e. bloody) and painful. [It's days like this I think maybe I should buy one of those mini-camcorders to mount on my helmet, or maybe a set that is built into sunglasses, so I can record some of the things that happen on my rides. Just a thought.] Now, never-mind that the park has signs all along the path, in both directions, that say "KEEP RIGHT," and one might think they would be obeyed, especially on a blind-curve. I would also expect that maybe someone might think it was a Good Idea (tm) to maybe ride single-file when rounding curves like these. But then again, I could just be out of my mind. I am pretty sure that no one bothers to read these, especially those clusters of people that walk five abreast across the width of the path, and have kids and pets running back and forth across the path, right in front of joggers and cyclists. Maybe an air-horn is in order... }:->  *Mwuahahahaa*

Anyway, I made it back without further incident. Once home I changed into my sweet Brooks Trance 10 running shoes, put on my UnderArmor ninja hood and big floppy hat to keep the sun off my neck and the breeze out of my ears, strapped on my iPod and hit the bike path on foot. During my ride I noticed that there was quite a crowd in the park today. This was unsurprising seeing as how it was over (70) deg.F. and with only a little breeze. Plenty of people were out walking their dogs. Some of those dogs look kinda' mean, and I have never been a dog fan, and the people walking those meaner looking dogs tend to look a bit shady, so I am glad I have my Spyderco with me at all times; that and my cell-phone. That's one part of the Boy Scout motto I try to practice: "Be Prepared."

Anyway, time to get cleaned up and work on the bathroom a bit. Company has already arrived.

-Lancer!!

No comments: