Monday, January 07, 2008


So. I returned to Modesto to pick-up more stuff Sunday night. I spent most of Sunday afternoon unpacking and organizing what I brought up Saturday. I still need some shelving and organizing space because I have odds and ends sitting on my desk, and elsewhere. Unpacked most of my new load of stuff and got to bed by 3:00AM. Got a little nervous because the police stopped a car on the street below my window. A second cruiser came up from the other direction and boxed in the car, then the police got two people out of the car. I left the room for a little while, just in case any stray "action" came through my window.

Got up this morning with my alarm at 7:00AM and got ready for my meeting at 9:00AM. It looks like I will get a weekend job, two (2) days a week, at a post that should only require two (2) days of training. I will be contacted tomorrow to find out if the corporate office has gotten all my info transmitted and transferred to the local branch. After that I can go in to get my uniforms and get ready for training. My branch manager seems like a straight-forward kind of guy. He introduced me to my scheduler who is a tall, beautiful, blonde woman. *sigh* [Names of people and companies will not be mentioned, in case anyone I work with, or for, gets around to reading this blog.-L.]

That much was squared away by 10:00AM. Thereafter, I made my way back up the road to Fry's in Campbell to browse the aisles for a heat-sink that I can no longer buy through PC Club in Modesto, or their web-site; I need the part to finish Mom's new computer I built for Christmas. Right after finding the part I needed my good friend
Suzanne called and asked where I was. She told me she just finished an interview in downtown San Jose and asked me to wait there; she would meet me. We met up, browsed Fry's and chatted a little; she's looking for a new gaming mouse. We took her car and went to lunch at Taco Bravo. I had the basic bean burrito and orange soda; onions were included even though I requested "no onions." After lunch we crossed the street for coffee and a browse through Barnes and Noble; the seasonal Cinnamon Dolce was quite tasty, much better than the awful Tazo Chai I once had a few years ago. [I've never had another Starbuck's Chai. At the time, I had hoped it was as good as the Oregon Chai that the Camera Three cinema was selling, which was fantastic! I could drink those all day and they went well with my Sampoerna cloves. Maybe the Tazo and the cloves didn't mix. Whatever.] We browsed around the books a little bit then returned to Fry's to pick-up my car. Gave Sue a kiss and a hug then back to campus for me.

[Wow. This post is getting really long. Don't worry, once classes start I will no doubt have far less time to write this much. ;-) -L.]

Onward! Once back on campus I spoke to the Parking Services office and arranged a two (2) week parking pass till my semester pass arrives. The permits have overlapping dates, but for only $24.00, that's just fine. I also need to update my license plate info since I entered it incorrectly Saturday when I applied online for the semester permit. *slap's head* So stupid. I should have just gone to look at the plate. Now I can relax about parking.

Next up, I checked the Linguistics Department office and see that they are open. I still have to finish my Graduation Application and get that turned in, then have my department forward my records of completed/in-progress work. I looked around the bookstore and saw that some of the Spring semester books are out, but not all. Will have to spend more time there tomorrow to get the books I can. Robert's is open this week so I can check there, too.

Stopped in at the Courtesy Desk for my building to get tips on making the thermostat co-operate. Apparently, when the room doors are all closed and the heater is running, the temperature at the thermostat drops, but the heat is getting into the rooms, barely. This explains why setting it for 70F and letting it run for (30) minutes dropped the temp to 66F. Back in my room I turned on the heater and left the door open for a few minutes, saw the "heater" was doing it's job, then closed my door and crashed out for about three (3) hours.

So that brings me up-to-date. Haven't had dinner yet, and I'm not too hungry (it's 9:48PM now), but I'm thinking "La Victoria" for a dinner of Nachos with Jalapenos, or maybe Super Nachos, for something more filling. It's getting late. I better get dressed and go check-out their hours...

Good night for now! I updated the comments settings so my friends in Turlock, and elsewhere, should be able to add comments without having Google/Blogger accounts. Let me know!.



Seán Fornelli said...

Hey, reading your blog makes me think I should post to mine. Someone mentioned to me that my former computer's symptoms sounds like a definate hardware problem so keep that in mind if you reuse any of the guts for your mom.

If you are serious about keeping your friends seperate, you might want to remove links to them. Just to be safe.

Lancer!! said...

I'm not too worried about keeping my social circles separated right now. I have bigger things on my mind. Also, I think the case will be the only component I will re-use. The rest can go to the e-waste place when I get to it.